Summer is finally upon us, and that means it’s the perfect time to head outside and enjoy the extra sunlight and warm weather with sports, hiking, swimming, and other activities.
If you’re a Cochlear™ implant or Baha® device recipient, that means taking a few extra steps to ensure your processor is secure and protected, no matter where your vacation plans take you.
With a Cochlear implant
1. If you plan to visit the beach, lake, or pool, don’t forget to pack your Aqua+, compatible with the Kanso® sound processor, Nucleus® 5 sound processor, and the Nucleus® 6 sound processor. The Aqua+ provides waterproof protection for underwater swimming in all water types, including salt water, chlorinated pools, soapy water and lakes1,2.
Is the Aqua+ on your wish list? Visit the Cochlear Store to buy it today and get free shipping on orders over $50.
2. Depending on the activity, you may want to invest in the watertight activity case, which can protect your sound processor, accessories, and personal items such as a phone or car keys from water or damage3.
3. Keep your processor in place. When engaging in activities this summer, keep your sound processor in place with retention options. Options for the Nucleus® 6 sound processor include earhooks and Snugfits. Options for the Kanso® sound processor include the Short Safety Line, Short Safety Line Hair Clips, and the Cochlear™ Headband. These options will help keep your sound processor in place and will offer you peace of mind all summer long!
4. Exercise caution with high-impact activities. If you decide to engage in high-impact activities, it is recommended that you wear a helmet that allows enough spacing over the implant site to prevent pressure from being applied. Such a helmet may help to reduce impact forces, but will not fully protect the implant system. It is recommended that you do not wear your external equipment when engaged in these activities; however it is always best to first check with your hearing health provider.
5. Before scuba diving, check the maximum diving depth for your implant type. Speak with your clinician or doctor before participating in scuba diving to ensure that it’s safe for you. When wearing a mask, avoid pressure over the implant site.
With a Baha device
6. Take advantage of the Baha safety line. When taking part in activities where you risk losing your sound processor, simply insert the line into the attachment point and fasten it to your clothing. That way, if anything happens to dislodge your processor, it will stay attached to your shirt and protect it from damage or loss4.
7. Protect your Baha device from water. Your Baha® sound processor is not waterproof. Never wear it in the shower or when swimming. In rainy conditions, use an umbrella.
8. If visiting or living in an area with high humidity, use a Dry Caddy Kit to keep your sound processor in good working order5.
9. Avoid extreme temperatures. Never leave your processor on the dashboard in your car in bright sunlight or expose it to any other kind of extreme treatment. The sound processor is designed to operate within the temperature ranges +5°C (+41°F) to +40°C (+104°F).
10. Exercise caution with high-impact activities. If you decide to engage in high-impact activities, it is recommended that you wear a helmet that allows enough spacing over the implant site to prevent pressure from being applied. Such a helmet may help to reduce impact forces, but will not fully protect the implant system. It is recommended that you do not wear your external equipment when engaged in these activities; however it is always best to first check with your hearing health provider.
For more tips to enhance your summer fun, check out the “Living With My Device” section of My Cochlear.
1. The Nucleus 5 Sound Processor and Nucleus 6 Sound Processor with the Nucleus Aqua+ is water resistant to level IP68 of the International Standard IEC60529 when used with rechargeable batteries without the acoustic component.
2. The Kanso Sound Processor with the Aqua+ is water resistant to level IP68 of the International Standard IEC60529. This water protection rating means that the sound processor with the Aqua+ can be continuously submerged under water to a depth of 3 meters (9 feet and 9 inches) for up to 2 hours. This water protection only applies when you use the Aqua+ and LR44 alkaline or nickel metal hydride disposable batteries.
3. The Cochlear Watertight Activity Case can be used with all Cochlear products and devices.
4. Designed for Baha 5 SuperPower, Baha 5, Baha 4, Baha 3, Baha Divino and Baha Intenso Sound Processors.
5. The DryCaddy discs are not to be used with the Zephyr or Breeze by Dry & Store®.