The Nucleus 7 Sound Processor is the world’s first Made for iPhone cochlear implant sound processor to allow users to stream sound from iPhone®, iPad® and iPod touch® directly to their sound processor, offering greater accessibility, connectivity and wireless solutions.
Cochlear Limited (ASX: COH), the global leader in implantable hearing solutions, introduces today its latest innovation, the CochlearTM Nucleus® 7 Sound Processor. Approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in June, the Nucleus 7 Sound Processor is the world’s first Made for iPhone cochlear implant sound processor and the smallest and lightest behind-the-ear cochlear implant sound processor available on the market.1-3
With the Nucleus 7 Sound Processor, people with a Cochlear Nucleus Implant can now stream sound directly from a compatible iPhone, iPad and iPod touch directly to their sound processor.4,5* They will also be able to control, monitor and customize their hearing on their iPhone or iPod touch through the Nucleus® Smart App available to download for free from the App Store®.
There are 360 million people living with disabling hearing loss worldwide, and this figure is set to more than triple to 1.2 billion by 2050.6,7 According to the World Health Organization, there are approximately 72 million people who could potentially benefit from the use of a hearing device including a cochlear implant or hearing aid.8
Chris Smith, Cochlear Chief Executive Officer and President, welcomes the FDA approval of the Nucleus 7 Sound Processor, explaining that Cochlear is proud to give people with moderate to profound hearing loss access to mobile technology like never before.
“The approval of the Nucleus 7 Sound Processor is a turning point for people with hearing loss, opening the door for them to make phone calls, listen to music in high-quality stereo sound, watch videos and have FaceTime® calls streamed directly to their cochlear implant,” explains Smith. “This new sound processor builds on our long-standing commitment to help more people with hearing loss connect with others and live a full life.”
The Nucleus 7 Sound Processor offers a range of features with the Nucleus Smart App, exclusively available for iPhone and iPod touch on the App Store. The new Hearing Tracker feature records coil-offs time (each time the sound processor coil does not detect the implant coil, such as if it has fallen off a child’s head) and time in speech (which measures the amount of time spent in speech environments in hours, including FM and streaming).5 The Find My Processor feature of the Nucleus Smart App helps locate a lost sound processor by using Location Services to determine the last place the sound processor was connected to the paired iPhone or iPod touch, whether it has been lost on the playground, in the house or in the car.
To read the full press release on the Nucleus 7 Sound Processor, click here.
- S. Food and Drug Administration. P970051-S151 and P130016-S022 and P000015-S016_Supplement Approval Order – APPR2017. 13 June; Data on file.
- Apple Inc. ‘Compatible hearing devices’ [Internet]. Apple support. 2017 [cited April 2017]. Available from: https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201466#compatible
- Cochlear Limited. D1190805. CP1000 Processor Size Comparison. 2017, Mar; Data on file.
- Cochlear Limited. 592753. Nucleus 7 Sound Processor User Guide 2017. Data on file.
- Cochlear Limited. D719021. Nucleus Smart App User Guide 2017. Data on file.
- World Health Organization. Deafness and Hearing Loss Factsheet [Internet]. Updated February 2017 [cited June 2017]. Available from: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs300/en/ .
- Lin FR and Kramer SE. Hearing Well to train your brain. The Amplifon Centre for Research & Studies (CRS), Milan, Italy 2013. Available from: http://www.crsamplifon.com/documents/76453/79343/Consensus+Paper+2013+HEARING+WELL+TO+TRAIN+YOUR+BRAIN.pdf/5ad3e484-7e23-4d29-a0d8-961b1ace4f9b
- World Health Organization. 10 Facts on Deafness [Internet]. Updated April 2017 [cited June 2017]. Available from: http://www.who.int/features/factfiles/deafness/en/
* The Nucleus 7 Sound Processor is compatible with iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone SE, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5, iPad Pro (12.9-inch), iPad Pro (9.7-inch), iPad Air 2, iPad Air, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 2, iPad mini, iPad (4th generation) and iPod touch (6th generation) using iOS 10.0 or later. The Nucleus Smart App is compatible with iPhone 5 (or later) and iPod 6th generation devices (or later) running iOS 10.0 or later.